Why Buy British Flowers
British Flower Farms have been in huge decline in the past 30 years.
Although we have arguably the best gardens on the planet, bursting with the most wonderful varieties of flowers and foliage, if you imagined that the flowers in the supermarket or your local florist – or indeed online were grown here… for the most part, think again.
Nearly 90% of the flowers sold in the UK are actually imported, and many travel over 3000 miles. In fact the last survey I saw was that the average bouquet on Valentines Day travels 4365 miles!
Of course there is a valid argument for global trade, for job creation in poor countries, and indeed there are many measures in place to help with working conditions and lowering the carbon footprint of well-travelled flowers.
But when all is said and done, with just 10% of flowers sold here grown here it does seem we have slightly lost the plot…
Buying British does mean you can’t always have exactly what you fancy at any time of year. That’s true enough… does this mean you won’t have fabulous flowers though? Not at all! We have a variety of flowers all year round (some grown indoors) guaranteed to delight you and even better they will be fresher, more scented and last longer in your vase. Most of them are pretty seasonal and just as veggies taste better in season, to us flowers look better in season too.
- British flowers are grown not flown. The average flower miles of our bouquets are less than a tenth of their foreign counterparts.
- British flowers make British farmers happy (almost! :0)) Our flowers are helping to ensure our farm remains a mixed family farm.
- British flower farms help biodiversity. The flowers you buy from The Great British Florist have already provided food and habitat to a huge variety of butterflies, bugs, and bees.
In short by committing to British flowers, - you are also supporting British farmers and our British wildlife. And so on behalf of the bees, butterflies, bugs and birds of Great Britain, thank you kindly!
At the Great British Florist we promise
- We are committed to promoting British Flowers
- Flowers are hand-picked and prepared in our farm floristry
- That our flowers will delight - and they will last for at least 7 days
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Please note: We buy our extra flowers in good faith that they are grown in Britain. Unlike Cows (!) that have passports and full traceability our flowers do not have this level of paper trail, therefore we buy from reputable farmers and suppliers on a trust basis. If we find out that any of our flowers are not grown in the UK we will investigate and take immediate action to ensure this does not happen again. We do reserve the right to bring in flowers from Europe if there is a major crop failure in the UK.